The Mindanao Peacebuilding Institute Foundation, Inc. (MPI) considers your privacy very important and adheres to the 2012 Data Privacy Act of the Philippines. Whether you are just a visitor to our website or you are a registered user because you are an alumna/us or somehow connected to MPI, or if MPI holds your personal information in any other manner, we take our responsibility to protect your privacy as securely as possible. Accordingly, we have developed this Privacy Notice in order for you to understand how we collect, use, communicate and disclose and make use of personal information.
1. Information We Collect and How We Use Your Information
We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law. We do not disclose your information to third parties not involved in any transaction process.
- Website Registration: When registering for the Site as an alumna/us or part of the MPI network, we request your name, organization, email, relationship to MPI and general location in order to understand who is connecting with us and to help alumni connect with one another. We also request alumni to indicate the year(s) and course(s) they took in order to give access to handouts and to assist in connecting alumni with one another.
- MPI Occasional Newsletter: We request a subscriber’s name, email, county, organization, job position and relationship to MPI to enable the subscriber to receive the email, to send to specific groups and to help us understand who is interested in hearing from MPI.
- Application for and Participants in MPI Trainings: Individuals applying for and participating in an MPI training program or activity will be asked to submit information appropriate to the training and for acceptance and placement. Details on what information is collected and why can be found under the specific applications.
- MPI Alumni and Alumni Newsletter: When individuals register for one of our training programs, they provide the necessary information for being accepted to and placed in our courses. It is from that information that we take what is needed for our alumni database and mailing list. The information that is included in the mailing lists consists of your name, email address, alternative email addresses (if available), organization, position, country and year in which you participated in the Annual Peacebuilding Training or other training. Aside from allowing us to maintain contact and send the Alumni Newsletter emails and personalize them, this information also allows us to segment our mailing lists and to know what organizations are represented and by whom.
- Analytics and Statistics: MPI collects anonymous statistical information through Google Analytics to understand broad demographic information about visitors to the Site. This information is utilized to improve the Site and our services. See "Third-Party Services" below.
- Email Inquiries: When visitors to the website use our "Contact Us" from, MPI collects the email address, name and the information provided in the inquiry in order to respond to the request.
- Discussion Forums: The Discussion Forums on the Site are limited to registered users. However, you should still exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal information. You may request assistance in removing any personal information from the forums by contacting us.
- Testimonials: Testimonials may be posted by MPI or by individuals who would like to do so. All testimonials are reviewed by MPI before final posting, but if you would like to change any information on the testimonial or have it removed, please contact us.
2. Data Security
MPI uses multiple security measures to prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. MPI's website uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to protect the website and transmission of data. In the unlikely event of a data breach, MPI will notify the appropriate regulatory and/or legal authorities, as well as affected alumni/users/individuals, within seventy-two (72) hours.
3. Storage and Processing
Your information collected through the Site may be stored and processed in the United States, Canada, Europe or the Philippines. For information transmitted, stored and processed in the Philippines, MPI is bound by and adheres to Republic Act 10173 – Data Privacy Act of 2012.
4. How We Protect Your Information
MPI makes every effort to protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. However, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to the Site or guarantee that your information on the Site may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any industry standard physical, technical or managerial safeguards. When you enter sensitive information (such as login information) on our registration or other forms, the information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL). However, no method of transmitting data over the internet is 100% secure. If you have any questions about security on the Site, please contact us.
5. EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC
For E.U. clients, MPI makes every effort to comply with the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC framework as set forth by the European Union regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland.
7. Third-Party Services
When someone visits the Site, we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behavior patterns. We do this to find out the number of visitors to various parts of the Site, how visitors get to our site, how long a visitor stays on our site, etc. In doing so, we utilize the IP anonymization mode to minimize the ability to identify an individual.
MPI uses MailChimp for sending out its newsletter to its alumni. The information mentioned above under "Information We Collect and How We Use Your Information" is what is submitted to MailChimp. Please see MailChimp's Legal Policies with respect to their own privacy policies and the use of data.
8. MPI Newsletter
MPI offers visitors to our website the opportunity to subscribe to our occasional newsletter. When subscribing for our newsletter, we request your email address, first name, last name, organization, country, job position and relationship to MPI.
MPI will use the information you provide on the subscription form to send you our newsletter only. The information helps us to send emails to specific segments of our mailing list and to know who is interested in MPI. We do not sell or make our lists or individual contact information available to any organization without your expressed consent.
9. Donations to MPI
The Site makes it possible for individuals or organizations to make donations to the Mindanao Peacebuilding Institute Foundation, Inc. We use third-party services for donation processing (e.g. payment processors).
Any registered user for the Site or for whom MPI holds data has the right to access, amend, correct or delete any and all personal information. Be sure to know your rights under RA10173 of the Philippines.
For this Site, you may access, amend, correct or delete any and all personal information by going to the bottom of the Alumni Home Page after you have logged in, click on your username to go to your profile page and then “Update Your Profile” under the Edit menu of your profile. You cannot delete any of the required information if you wish to remain registered on our website (first name, email address, relationship to MPI, username and password), but you can set most of these to private. Email addresses are never visible to other registered users, though registered users can contact one another through online forms.
Similarly, you may access and amend your personal information associated with our newsletter or unsubscribe completely by clicking on the appropriate link at the bottom of the newsletter or by clicking on the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the subscription page.
You have the right to receive the personal information you provided to MPI in a “in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.” If you would like to request this date, please contact us.
You may also request any changes to your information by contacting us.
11. Changes to this Privacy Notice
The Mindanao Peacebuilding Institute Foundation, Inc., shall review this policy annually during or around the time of the mid-year meeting of MPI’s Board of Trustees. Please note the most recent modification date of the Privacy Notice at the top of the page.