Rev. Ebai Gustav Tabi, Executive Secretary for Information and Communication, Director of Protestant Voice Radio PVRadio FM 105.2, Council of Protestant Churches of Cameroon CEPCA, gave a presentation on the crisis in Northwest and Southwest Cameroon at MPI’s 2019 Annual Peacebuilding Training, where he was a participant. Gustav introduces the presentation here with a statement from the National Council of Religious for Peace in Cameroon. You can view the slide presentation below (click Read More to view the slideshow).
National Council of Religious for Peace in Cameroon (NCRPC)
The crisis in the Northwest and Southwest Regions of Cameroon has mutated into a stalemate and the sufferings of our people keep increasing day and night. Loss of human life and loss of property is especially mounting; and fear, suspicion, blackmail, and hatred are on the rise.
We have traced the following six different stages of evolution of the crisis since independence and reunification.
Stages of Conflict
- Expression since independence of the feeling or the sense of marginalisation on the part of English-Speaking Cameroonians.
- The demand for equality of Education and Legal sub-systems.
- The Trade Unions joined in with other demands concerning other syndicates.
- It evolved into political demands on the different forms of government, including Federalism, Secession, Unity and Decentralisation.
- The rise of new actors, many armed and unknown.
- The evolution into online threats, extortion and a xenophobic campaign of the English-speaking versus the French-speaking and confusion in various camps.